Chevron

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Christmas in July, um August!

We have been doing our best to stay cool during these hot summer months.  We have been enjoying dips in our pool (storage container), smoothies in drink and popsicle form and a little preparation for the cooler months.  Christmas has been on my brain lately.  Every year,  I always try to get a head start on crafts and gifts. This year is even more important with the baby due at the beginning of December.

Staying cool

After Christmas last year,  I purchased clearance fabric for a project that I thought would suit our family very well.  For months I had been putting it off basically because sewing isn't exactly easy for me.  The thought of having to change the thread and bobbin, let alone wind the bobbin-oh my, too scary!  I almost convinced myself that the aqua thread on the machine would look lovely with my fabric, ahem.  I finally decided to stop being a baby and just do it.  There was definitely frustration and calls to my mother but eventually I figured it out and then I started threading the machine without looking at the manual, quite the miracle!  Once, I figured out more of the mechanics it didn't seem as scary anymore and I actually started to enjoy it.  So, I finished TWO projects!

Jack happily played on our bed while I sewed.

I made 35 cloth gift bags in assorted sizes.  I probably will have to add to the stash after we see how the sizes work out this year ( I made a LOT of small ones) but I am pretty happy with the outcome.  It will just make life easier to throw a gift in a bag and tie a ribbon around it and be done.  This makes my husband extremely happy. :-)


I also made a felt circle garland.  We cut out the circles last summer using my Mom's die cut machine, which I love!  I purchased clear thread and it took about 10 minutes to arrange and sew them together.  So easy and fun!   Now all of a sudden I am excited to start another project...I guess we will see.


Here are some pictures from our park visit last month.  It was HOT but fun!


Jack would clap for himself every time he would throw a rock!

Jack was in a hurry to see as much as he could see.

He was quite tired when we got home and decided to make himself a cozy place to rest!

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand the mental block about starting to sew on your own...I was SUCH a baby about it until I just start doing it and loving it (and I made lots of phone calls to my mom for moral support, too). :)

    I have started feeling the itch to make fall/winter stuff lately, which seems ridiculous when the heat index has been nearly 110 degrees. You are being very efficient with your Christmas stuff -- bravo!

    Jack is looking like such a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have jumped the biggest hurdle-the first one! Nice job on sewing and here's to many more hours!

    But Jack still steals the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sewing projects look great. I don't like to make clothes, but I enjoy crafts. Anita P.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for leaving me a comment!