Chevron

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Natural Cleaning

In one of my comments, I had a request to share some of my natural cleaning recipes.  I am happy to oblige!

I am very sensitive to the smell of traditional cleaners so, I enjoy making my own plus it is frugal, healthier for us, and it works!  I have found some of my recipes on the internet and some from this book, Better Basics for the Home.  I highly recommend it for it's wealth of information and great recipes.

I actually made a soft scrub today to clean my least favorite chore...the shower!  Before I had this cleaner I really, really disliked cleaning tubs but now it is bearable and it has just 2 ingredients... baking soda and dish soap!  Here's how to make it and please excuse the photography.  (What can I say, my house has only 3 windows so, that doesn't make for a very picture friendly atmosphere sometimes!)

Gather your ingredients

I used 1/4 cup of baking soda for 1 bathtub. 1/2 cup usually allows me to clean 3 sinks and 1 tub.
Then I squirt dish soap until it covers the top (I know very precise!).

Stir and add some more dish soap until you have a frosting like consistency.

That's all there is to it!  Plop into your tub (or sink, etc.), scrub a little and let it sit for a few minutes, if needed. Finish scrubbing and admire your clean tub while resisting the urge to tell everyone who uses the tub to make sure they are clean before entering it! *sigh*

Another favorite of mine is an all-purpose cleaner.  You only need 3 ingredients for this one.  
-1/4 cup of white vinegar
-1/2 tsp. liquid dish soap
-3/4 cup of warm water
I triple this recipe and store it in a spray bottle to use in my bathrooms, kitchen, etc.  

For my glass cleaner, I use club soda transferred to a spray bottle.  Pretty easy, right?!

These are the basic ingredients for making cleaning supplies...Borax, Baking Soda, Washing Soda, dish soap, castile soap, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol (used to make a Pergo floor cleaner).  I go through Costco size vinegar and baking soda the most (couple times a year) but the rest last a.very.long.time!

This is the majority of my cleaning supplies.  I do buy some natural cleaners also.  I have made toilet bowl cleaners in the past but I wasn't 100% satisfied so I have been trying out different ones as needed.  Also, who can live without a Magic Eraser handy?!

If you are interested in trying out some natural cleaners these companies sent me samples for free!  I emailed 7th Generation, Biokleen, Dr. Bronners, etc. and asked for coupons/samples and I got a great response!  Give it a try!

Laundry items

I have made laundry soap in the past as well but I am hooked on Naturoli Soap Nuts for my detergent now!  It does a great job with my laundry (even diapers!) and it only costs pennies per load!  I use vinegar in my downy ball to soften/freshen my towels.  Dryer balls are another fantastic money saver and natural alternative to fabric softener/dryer sheets.  I use Eucalan for my wool diaper cover and Grapefruit Seed Extract helped clean Jack's diapers after he had a yeast infection.  GSE actually has many wonderful uses beyond laundry and it has an indefinite shelf life.

Well, there you have it!  More than you ever wanted to know about my cleaners!  I will leave you with a few pictures of Jack "helping" me clean!

"Hey Mom, I'll help you unload this!"

"It's pretty dusty over here."

That's not helping, Jack!

"I found the dryer balls, Mom!"

1 comment:

  1. It would be a good science project to record the exact moment when cleaning is no longer fun to kids....! Thanks for the good recipes for cleansers.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for leaving me a comment!