Chevron

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 19



What a beautiful Saturday!

While Seth is at a school this weekend, I have been doing my best to stay busy (which isn't too hard!).
After Ella's morning nap, we headed out to the bank, the thrift store to make a donation, some garage sales, the dairy and to get the Saturday newspaper.

Our new sit-and-stand stroller worked great at the garage sales.  People were commenting on it and how well behaved my kids were being.  That is always nice to hear as you are sweating bullets heaving the stroller up hills and making sure the brakes lock so my kids don't roll back down the hill while I look at their items.  I also got my first "how old is he?" comment about Ella.  I knew I should have put a bow on her head before we left!

Since it was dairy day,  I decided to tap into my inner Ma Ingalls and make some butter with our fresh cream.  I almost feel like I cheated since I just poured the cream into the KitchenAid and let it work while I ate my lunch! It has been awhile since I have made butter but it really isn't that hard and I don't know why I don't do it more.  Maybe the fact that we were out of it the other day got me thinking about what people would do if they didn't have a Costco or grocery store to run to when they needed something.  There is also something to be said for fresh local food instead of the bland nutrient-lacking store bought food.  Just saying.

Now we have some lovely buttermilk as well.  I'm thinking pancakes are necessary!  By the way, you can make butter just by shaking cream in a jar.  It would be a fun summer project to do with your kids and with some yummy results at the end! Check it out!  We enjoyed our butter on some homemade strawberry muffins.  I am trying to use up last year's strawberries because the plan is to go strawberry picking next week.  Mmmm, now I'm thinking about fresh whipped cream and strawberries.♥

1 comment:

  1. Oooo! Just looking at that picture makes me hungry! Seems like food just tastes better outside ;)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for leaving me a comment!